One world, One CPU, One OS

Ralph Seguin gilgalad at dip.eecs.umich.edu
Thu May 10 00:52:32 AEST 1990

In article <16101 at cbnews.ATT.COM> jbr0 at cbnews.ATT.COM (joseph.a.brownlee) writes:
>Unix Sys V 4.0 is so different from previous releases that I won't even begin
>to list features here, but it will pull in many useful BSD features.  I have
>to believe that moving to 4.0 would be the best marketing strategy for Apple
>and A/UX in the future.

Hmmm... Well Commodore has already done this.  Actually, it is System V R4.1.
It is a full implementation.  Nothing has been left out.  It's like Prego spaghetti
sauce.  If you want a feature, "It's in there!".  They should be releasing it
within a couple of months.

>Then there's the price...  :-)

Well, hey, if you want unix, you gotta pay 8-(  Think of the cost of unix software
too.  You're no longer talking small change here.  Commodore has done the right
thing, in that they are going to bundle a bunch of stuff with their unix release.
It also won't be very expensive from what I've heard...

>--
>   -      _   Joe Brownlee, Analysts International Corp. @ AT&T Network Systems
>  /_\  @ / `  471 E Broad St, Suite 1610, Columbus, Ohio 43215   (614) 860-7461
> /   \ | \_,  E-mail: jbr at cblph.att.com     Who pays attention to what _I_ say?
> "Scotty, we need warp drive in 3 minutes or we're all dead!" --- James T. Kirk

				See ya, Ralph

gilgalad at caen.engin.umich.edu     gilgalad at dip.eecs.umich.edu
gilgalad at goliath.eecs.umich.edu   Ralph_Seguin at ub.cc.umich.edu
gilgalad at sparky.eecs.umich.edu    USER6TUN at UMICHUB.BITNET

Ralph Seguin               |  In order to get infinitely many monkeys to type
11010 Lighthouse Dr. #234  | something that actually makes sense, you need to
Belleville, MI 48111       | have infinitely many monkey editors as well.
(313) 697-1048