More about FORTRAN compilers

Jim Jagielski jim at jagubox.gsfc.nasa.gov
Sat Nov 3 03:45:58 AEST 1990

Well, here's just a little bit more to chew on about the NKR vs. Absoft
FORTRAN compiler issue that I've been droning on about.

I made suggestions to Absoft as well as some asking them some questions
(e.g. "Should it REALLY take over 2 1/2 minutes to compile a 1730 line
FORTRAN program which is about 1/4 comments?"; "Why did you use non-'standard'
ACTION=PRINT instead of CARRIAGECONTROL=FORTRAN?"; "When reopening a pre-
connected unit, that unit should NOT be disconnected 1st (in most cases).";
etc...).

I have received no answer at all from them... none.

Meanwhile I faxed NKR Research and said "You know, it would be a good idea
to add COSD, SIND, TAND (etc...) to your FORTRAN library for VAX library
compatibility." 2 hours later I got a faxed reply that said "Sounds good...
we'll add it to the latest version (which will be shipped out soon)."

It don't get much better than that.
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
                                 =:^)
           Jim Jagielski                    NASA/GSFC, Code 711.1
     jim at jagubox.gsfc.nasa.gov               Greenbelt, MD 20771

"Kilimanjaro is a pretty tricky climb. Most of it's up, until you reach
 the very, very top, and then it tends to slope away rather sharply."