some miscellaneous AUX questions

John Coolidge coolidge at cs.uiuc.edu
Tue Nov 27 15:18:26 AEST 1990

jim at jagubox.gsfc.nasa.gov (Jim Jagielski) writes:
>The Daystar boards DON'T require the ROM upgrade since they supply a chip
>that plugs into the AMU/PMMU socket... I guess this takes care of convincing
>the Mac that the MMU capability is in the CPU... this chip may be some-kinda
>"loopback" circuit that directs instructions back to the CPU :/

>The Siclone cards also don't require the ROM upgrade... it's better to check
>with the card's manufacturer.

>If you plan on upgrading to the SuperDrive OR using the 4MB RAM SIMMS, then
>you NEED the ROM upgrade, whether you're running a 68030 or a 68020.

Is this implication correct: if I shell out the $150ish (I think) for
the ROM upgrade, I can a) use the Dove accelerator and b) also use
4MB SIMMs in my Mac II? Hadn't heard the one about 4M SIMMs --- that
makes the ROM upgrade a lot more reasonable. Of course, I'd still like
to do the fx upgrade one day :-).

--John