MacX 1.0.1 oddities: swallowing mouse events, etc.

Alma G. Sorensen sorensen at athena.mit.edu
Sat Nov 3 08:29:50 AEST 1990

I am experiencing some strange behaviour wiht MacX 1.0.1 under A/UX.
Two things bother me most:

- Swallowing mouse events: after the user selects a menu item from
my client, the client program listens to all mouse events and
changes variables according to how the mouse is moved.  Unfortunately,
MacX does not pass any events to the client until the mouse is clicked
again. This seems bogus, and I can't find anything about it in the
(thin) manual, including the supplement for A/UX.

- Colormap use: most window managers shift colormaps whenever
the mouse moves over the client's window. MacX doesn't until you
click on the client. I can live with this. But, my menus come up
with the system colormap, not my client's (this doesn't happen
on my generic SunX11R3, X11R4, or OpenWindows 2.0 server). Why?

Any suggestions for getting behaviour out of MacX that is more
like the rest of the X worlds'?  We have a lot of people who would
like to sue this application on their mac desktop instead of
having to use a workstation...

Thanks,

Greg Sorensen
sorensen at athena.mit.edu  or