That stupid TONE!

Jim Jagielski jim at jagubox.gsfc.nasa.gov
Sat Nov 10 04:09:44 AEST 1990

Has anyone figured out the way to turn off the "tone" that's sometimes
generated after the Mac "beeps"? It must be due to the sound channel being
kept open, since you can't make any changes under the Control Panel when
this happens.

The A/UX Toolbox Manual makes mention of /dev/snd/reset which supposedly
resets the Sound Manager, but I heard from Apple Tech Answer Line that the
manual is wrong... well, at least it's mistaken since /dev/snd/reset was
going to be included but was pulled "at the last minute".

In any case, the only way to stop this (and it's not toooo load but it is
annoying) is to reboot, which is kinda annoying if you're right in the middle
of something.

Any help will be appreciated... I'll post a summary.
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
                                 =:^)
           Jim Jagielski                    NASA/GSFC, Code 711.1
     jim at jagubox.gsfc.nasa.gov               Greenbelt, MD 20771

"Kilimanjaro is a pretty tricky climb. Most of it's up, until you reach
 the very, very top, and then it tends to slope away rather sharply."