disk errors

Herb Weiner herbw at wiskit.pdx.com
Fri Nov 30 12:40:49 AEST 1990

--------
In article <4341 at idunno.Princeton.EDU>, marcelo at sparcwood.Princeton.EDU
(Marcelo A. Gallardo) writes:
> I get the following error message every once in a while, when I am
> logged in at the console.
> Disk read c3d0s0 Error: Recovered error, code = 0x17

I was temporarily using a CMS Pro140 external drive, until I got my
REAL disk, and I too saw similar errors occasionally.

An interesting observation is that SilverLining reported errors with
hardware handshaking (one of the six handshaking options) on the CMS
drive.  I therefore chose one of the software handshaking options
(since I don't trust blind transfers).

Since A/UX uses its own drivers, it would, of course, be unaware of
the problems with hardware handshaking, and would ignore whatever
handshaking option was installed by SilverLining.  Therefore, I'm
not surprised that I had problems.  (I had no problems accessing
the Mac partition on this drive, however.)

I do not, however, understand what would cause hardware handshaking
to fail.  Is this an incorrect hardware/firmware implementation,
a defective drive, or a SCSI problem?  Although I'm no longer using
the CMS drive, I'd be interested in any theories on this matter.

(Anyone want to buy a used CMS drive, AS IS :-)

Herb Weiner (herbw at wiskit.pdx.com)