TAR and CPIO (Was:Re: SCSI tape drive)

John Coolidge coolidge at cs.uiuc.edu
Thu Nov 15 14:19:27 AEST 1990

jim at jagubox.gsfc.nasa.gov (Jim Jagielski) writes:
>I've heard a number of times that tar and cpio "fail" with large jobs... what
>is meant by "fail"? During the backup? During the restore? Too many files?
>Files too big? Too many links (symbolic or otherwise)?

I just (two days ago) had tar fail on me when getting the release of
g++ out the door. For some reason, it was not at all happy with the
g++ directory (which, now that I think about it, was completely messed
up and has been deleted from the archive; I'll try to put a replacement
out soon. This refers to the sources; the binaries and patches are fine).
Anyway, tar failed on that directory.

>Anyone know if any of the 3rd party tar/cpio replacements ("CTar", "LoneTar"(?)
>) have been ported to A/UX?

Gnu tar-1.09 has been ported. It went very easily and I've been using
it as my primary tar for the past 2 days :-). Gnu cpio also ports
pretty easily.

--John