Mac/OS HardDisk doesn't mount under AU/X 2.0!!! Help!!!

Dolf Starreveld dolf at fwi.uva.nl
Sun Nov 25 11:26:17 AEST 1990

nevai at function.mps.ohio-state.edu (Paul Nevai) writes:
> According A/UX Essentials a Mac/OS HardDisk should mount on the desktop
> under AU/X 2.0, but mine doesn't. I tried a CMS 300 (Wren V) and
> a PLI removable (Syquest). Both show up when I start the Mac (II fx
> with 80 Mb internal drive), but when I start up AU/X 2.0, they disappear.
> Any clues??? Please respond by email! Thanks! Paul
For MacOS hard disks, or to be more precise, partitions of hard disks to
show up under A/UX, a number of rules must be satisfied:
1) The disk in question must be using the "new" style partition map defined
   first in IM IV.
2) It must contain at least one MacOS partition and this must be referred
   to from the very first entry in the partition map.
3) The partition type must be "Apple_HFS".

Point 2 above is an Apple screw up. I accept (to a certain extent) that
Apple's Mac disk driver under A/UX can handle only one MacOS volume per
SCSI id, but is documented nowhere that this should be in the very first
partition map entry. This is just plain stupid. Apple seems to know
about it, because HD Setup is handling the situation correctly, as is the
software I wrote myself.

Most SCSI software that does not allow you to put A/UX partitions on
a disk will not do this anyway. This (I think) is the case for CMS software
and PLI software.

For information on SCSI-Power, one of the very best package around for dealing
with disk partitioning, send me an e-mail. It does handle your problem, supports
SyQuest (and much better than most everybody else when you insert "foreign"
cartridges formatted by another brand of software) and allows A/UX partitioning.

--dolf
--
Dolf Starreveld  Phone: +31 20 592 5056/5022 (FAX: 5155), TELEX: 10262 HEF NL
EMAIL:           dolf at fwi.uva.nl (dolf%fwi.uva.nl at hp4nl.nluug.nl)