uucp scripts

Jerry LeVan MATLEVAN at EKU
Wed Nov 7 11:30:00 AEST 1990

Hello,
I am trying to write a script for my L.sys file that will allow me to
connect to our computer (3b2/1000) via the ISN using uucp. My script
looks like(at the beginning):
        "" ATD555-1212,\015  expect nothing send dial string
        2400 \r\r            expect 2400 send two carriage returns
This is where my confusion starts. The <cr>'s must be sent to
set the line characteristics (autobaud ). When I manually use cu
to connect, the two <cr>'s I type are not echoed but a 4 or 5 line banner
is sent back. When I call using uucico -r1 -sLAB -x9 the
chat dialog cranks up and the number is dialed, when the modem
answers the 2400 is picked up by the script. My modem then flashes the
TX light, I assume this is the <cr>'s being sent. However the RX light
never flashes and uucico hangs and eventually times out. I think the Welcome
header is not being sent. I have tried \r,,\r and several variations (ie
more <cr>'s and a variety of commas in various postitions. I have a feeling
that only 1 <cr> is being sent, this <cr> does not echo and the program
waits forever since the header will not be sent.
        Question 1) Does uucico send characters one at a time and wait
                    for the echo before sending the next one? This would
                    account for the hang since the first 2 <cr>s are munched
                    by the autobaud mechanism.
        Question 2) If the answer to the above is yes, is there any workaround?
                    I tried \e\r\r but got the same results
        Question 3) Assuming I can finally get the <cr>'s processed and cause th
                    header to be sent, do I have to process each line of the hea
der
                    with an "expect" "send" pair, or can I simply "expect" the
                    tail of the last line of the header?
Thanks
...Jerry
| Jerry LeVan                           | Phone:(606)-622-1931              |
| Department of Computer Science        |                                   |
| Eastern Kentucky University           | Email:matlevan at eku.bitnet         |
| Richmond Ky 40475                     |                                   |
|      "The series converges so slowly that it actually diverges."          |