I can get news from around the world, but not to the next room

Herb Weiner herbw at wiskit.pdx.com
Fri Nov 30 13:33:17 AEST 1990

--------
I'm now receiving netnews on my A/UX machine at home :-) :-) :-) :-)

Problem: My wife wants to read news on her Mac (running the standard
Mac OS) in another room.  The Macs are currently connected with AppleTalk
(actually, PhoneNet).  Is there any reasonable way that my wife can login
to A/UX without tearing up the walls to run additional cabling?

The only solution I am aware of would be to purchase an Ethernet card,
a foot of Ethernet cable, a Kinetics FastPath or Cayman Gatorbox, and
an additional AppleTalk connector, and contact the Guinness Book of
World Records to see if they have a category for World's Shortest
Ethernet.  (Total cost: aproximately $2,000; Reasonable: NO!)

Some solutions that I've investigated that SEEM reasonable, but which
DON'T work are (1) NCSA Telnet, since the A/UX TCP/IP driver(s) refuse
to talk over AppleTalk. (2) ADSP (AppleTalk Data Stream Protocol), since
ADSP refuses to talk to A/UX programs (it will only talk to Mac programs
running under A/UX).

On the Mac OS side, I would prefer a solution based on the Apple
Communications Toolbox, but would consider using NCSA Telnet.

On either or both sides, I would consider commercial software, public
domain software, or a "roll your own" solution.  (I consider myself
a proficient programmer, but I haven't done much network programming.)

I would be interested in the following input:

1.  Recommendations for commercially available (or public domain)
    solutions.  Please include vendor and price, if known.

2.  Recommendations for solving the problem myself, if necessary.
    Specifically, what protocol (e.g. ADSP, TCP/IP) to use, what
    pieces (e.g. development kits and manuals from APDA) I will
    need, etc.

3.  The level of demand for such a solution.  Specifically, if you
    are looking for the same thing, please let me know.

Herb Weiner (herbw at wiskit.pdx.com)