man - please wait!

Michael G. Lohmeyer mikel at dtg.nsc.com
Fri Nov 16 19:16:06 AEST 1990

In article <3919 at dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov> jim at jagubox.gsfc.nasa.gov (Jim Jagielski) writes:
>Once I added "export TERM" right above the "now print out pages" line in
>/usr/bin/man, pg works fine!

     The /usr/bin/man script has been bugging me a lot too until tonight
when I read the postings about it.  I tried Jim's suggestion and it still
did not work for me (perhaps I didn't do it right, perhaps my version
of less affected things a little.  Anyway, I did get it work, however,
by changing the following line:

----------

if [ "$PAGER" = "" ]
then
	mypager="more -s"
else
	# Pages such as pg need to have ul handle underlining, but less
	# does not.  You may want to reflect this difference in your PAGER
	# enviroment variable (e.g.  setenv PAGER "ul | pg" or
	# setenv PAGER "less -s").

	#  mypager="ul | $PAGER"		# use for pg
	mypager="$PAGER"			# use for less
fi

----------

     The original version of man just had the line:

	mypager="ul | $PAGER"

(along with a slightly different comment above it).  This may work fine
for the pg command, but ul in front of my less gave me a lot of garbage,
so I made the change above and it seems to work great.  I didn't even
have to export the TERM variable as Jim suggested.  I am running A/UX V2.0
in case it matters.

Mike
Mike Lohmeyer				mikel at dtg.nsc.com
National Semiconductor Corporation	...!dtg.nsc.com!mikel
(408) 721-8075