telnet binary data bug.

Tom Unger unger at cac.washington.edu
Sun Nov 11 04:35:22 AEST 1990

Hello,

I seem to be having two problems with transmission of binary data over
a telnet connection.  The two problems are:

1) a NULL is inserted after all \r.

2) A single character x80 is not transmitted.  Two x80 in sequence
   cause a single 0x80 to be transmitted.

The application is an xmodem file transfer from a/ux to the remote.
The troublesome bytes are in the file.  On a/ux I am running sz (the
zmodem utility) as 'sx' for to send a file with xmodem.  The receiver
is a Macintosh running software I wrote.

The telnet connection should be in binary data mode.  The remote side
negociates binary data in both directions and a/ux responds
positively.  I know that normally all \r are followed by \n or NULL
normally, but it is my understainding that this is not done in binary
data.

Can anyone verify that this is a bug in a/ux telnet?  Can anyone at
Apple comment on this?

You can reply via e-mail to:  unger at cdp.igc.org.

Tom Unger
MITEM corp.