Mac/OS HardDisk doesn't mount under AU/X 2.0!!! Help!!!

Matthias Urlichs urlichs at smurf.sub.org
Sun Nov 25 20:51:46 AEST 1990

In comp.unix.aux, article <1481 at carol.fwi.uva.nl>,
  dolf at fwi.uva.nl (Dolf Starreveld) writes:
< nevai at function.mps.ohio-state.edu (Paul Nevai) writes:

< For MacOS hard disks, or to be more precise, partitions of hard disks to
< show up under A/UX, a number of rules must be satisfied:
< 1) The disk in question must be using the "new" style partition map defined
<    first in IM IV.
< 2) It must contain at least one MacOS partition and this must be referred
<    to from the very first entry in the partition map.
< 3) The partition type must be "Apple_HFS".
<
< Point 2 above is an Apple screw up. [...]

Sorry, but wrong. I have here a hard disk which mounts just fine, and which
has the following partitions (in this order):
- Partition Map
- Driver
- A/UX 1
- A/UX 2
- HFS
and it mounts just fine.

< For information on SCSI-Power, one of the very best package around for dealing
< with disk partitioning, send me an e-mail. It does handle your problem, supports
< SyQuest (and much better than most everybody else when you insert "foreign"
< cartridges formatted by another brand of software) and allows A/UX partitioning.
<
I've resorted mostly to fixing up these partition maps with dp. The
"partition maps" which some installers create are just plain stupid.
(Padding the map entries with spaces instead of zeroes, preposterous logical
sizes and flags, you name it...)

--
Matthias Urlichs -- urlichs at smurf.sub.org -- urlichs at smurf.ira.uka.de     /(o\
Humboldtstrasse 7 - 7500 Karlsruhe 1 - FRG -- +49+721+621127(0700-2330)   \o)/