A/UX trouble

Alexis Rosen alexis at panix.uucp
Sun Nov 18 21:13:37 AEST 1990

In article <90.319.16:21:00 at ira.uka.de> bwild at foxi.uka.de (Bernd Wild) writes:
>We purchased an MacIIfx with 16Mb some weeks ago to install A/UX on it, but...
>After exchange of all memory SIMMs and the complete mother/board
>we are still unable to get A/UX running with NFS and YP. During
>the boot process when A/UX checks its file system and install the
>processes it gives us only the notice "panic: ialloc: dup alloc"
>after one-third of the progress bar. What's that????

It's telling you that it has discovered a single inode allocated to two
different files. Try running fsck on the guilty party. But that should be
done automatically on boot when it discovers that the disk is "dirty" so
there may be deeper problems. You didn't my any chance do something werid
with dp, did you? (Though I'm not sure that even that could cause this
message.)

It could also mean just about _anything_ if your system is really messed up.
I'd suggest reformatting and repartitioning the disk from scratch, if
nobody else has any better ideas.

---
Alexis Rosen
Owner/Sysadmin, PANIX Public Access Unix, NY
{cmcl2,apple}!panix!alexis