A/UX INIT/cdev questions

Dominic Dunlop domo at tsa.co.uk
Wed Nov 21 21:09:44 AEST 1990

 1. What is this INIT nestling in my system folder?  It doesn't seem to
    do any harm.  But then, it doesn't need to do any good either.  I
    can't find it documented anywhere -- even in the Macintosh System
    Software or Utilities guides (the latest I have are for System
    6.0.4).  (Clues: I'm running a Mac IIx with an E Machines
    controller and grey-scale monitor, and the INIT puts up an icon
    with a big X through it on start-up.)

 2. And what is the meaning of the icon showing what looks like a cross
    between a toolbox and a telephone on startup?  And why are the tools
    sometimes out of the box (for example, when I'm holding keys down to
    try to persuade the system to rebuild the desktop).  Again, the
    documentation offers no help.  (Clue: the System itself appears to
    display these icons.)

Enquiring mind wants to know...
--
Dominic Dunlop