How do you use Dial-up SLIP?

Vince Fuller vaf at Valinor.Stanford.EDU
Fri Nov 9 05:02:22 AEST 1990

chet at Advansoft.COM (Chet Wood) writes:
|> >It seems to me, because of these things, that it would be more than
|> >worth it to use a leased line for SLIP access...
|>
|> Leased lines are better than dialup connections; there is no doubt
about
|> that.  However, they also are significantly expensive, can sometimes
be hard
|> to get, and generally require explicit budget justification rather
than
|> getting a "free ride" on existing hardware and existing phone bills.
|> --
|> "I don't *want* to be normal!"         | Henry Spencer at U of
Toronto Zoology
|> "Not to worry."                        |  henry at zoo.toronto.edu
utzoo!henry

The above statement may or may not be true, depending on the nature of
the local telephone service where you are located. In the Bay Area, for
example, you can't get a business line with unlimited local dailing -
everything is measured rate. For this reason, it will be cheaper to
lease a dedicated 9.6KB line if you plan on using for more than a very
small amount (like an hour a day or thereabouts). In additione, 56KB ADN
("advanced digital network") circuits are not much more expensive than
9.6KB leased lines, though they are not quite as ubiquitous as 9.6KB
lines. Of course, there are other capital costs associated with a leased
line connection which are not present when getting "a free ride on
existing hardware" (but a "free ride on existing phone bills" is much
harder to hide if  you have measured service...)

	Vince Fuller, Stanford University/BARRNet