Why is tty1 not like tty0?

Thad P Floryan thad at cup.portal.com
Fri Oct 26 20:08:07 AEST 1990

alexis at panix.uucp (Alexis Rosen) in <1990Oct24.160940.22521 at panix.uucp> writes:

	Probably because Appletalk is running on it.

	You can edit /etc/appletalkrc to change the bootup appletalk
	configuration.
	You can also do (as root):
	/etc/appletalk -d
	although I don't know if it's smart enough to release the port for
	your use. It probably is.

Omitted from the above is the actual edit required in /etc/appletalkrc.

What you NEED to do is replace "appletalk0" with "ethertalk0" in that file
after you've done the "/etc/appletalk -d".

The /etc/appletalkrc gets changed back every boot, so either find the script
that mucks with the file and fix it or manually copy over a "proper" copy of
the file after each boot; I haven't spent time looking for the culprit yet.

Then be sure to alter /etc/gettydefs and /etc/inittab (and do telinit Q) to
suit your requirements.

If you want to come in on the serial ports with terminals such as VT100, DT80,
VT200, or Falco, there are a LOT of other things you have to fix re: terminfo
and termcap databases since the stock distribution (both A/UX 1.* and 2.0) is
crap in these regards.  Missing, for example, are infocmp (complementing tic),
and the acsc (among other) strings in terminfo (you'll see what I mean if you
attempt to use EMACS remotely and wonder why you cannot scroll windows :-)

I've been meaning to post a list of things to fix the terminfo, termcap, and
improve curses support, but haven't had the time yet.  But, in essence, you
want to replace /etc/termcap with one from, say, ucbvax.berkeley.edu or from
ucbarpa.berkeley.edu, and also decompile all the terminfo database using the
infocmp on a real SV system (R3.*, R4 or even a 3B1), copy those *.ti files to
A/UX, and recompile using tic under A/UX.  These changes make a tremendous
capability and performance difference, besides supporting many terminals not
included in the A/UX 2.0 distribution.

Look at the man pages on a SVR3 system to see how to use infocmp; for some
reason, someone went through a lot of trouble to carefully REMOVE all the
references to infocmp in the man pages for terminfo under A/UX and to also
NOT include the infocmp program in the distribution; fortunately, tic does
accompany A/UX 2.0 and has a man page.  And, luckily, tic doesn't coredump
when it encounters terminfo capabilties not supported under A/UX 2.0 (it
simply ignores them).

Thad Floryan [ thad at cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]