X11R4 from wustl "can't ioctl(): Invalid argument"

Jordan Hayes jordan at Morgan.COM
Mon Oct 8 00:30:12 AEST 1990

Richard Todd <rmtodd at servalan.uucp> writes:

	The reason is that AFE is a MacOS program, and that "default
	header" is the resource and info forks of a MacOS style file.

Oops.  Forgot about the Info bit.  od -c showed me the way;  Thanks to
the others who also suggested fcnvt(1).  dd bs=282 skip=1 also works
for you old-time UNIX hackers.

I also figured out how to start X11 from the Console Emulator -- after
trying to get the INIT for Rapport/Drive 2.4 to work and successfully
hanging the machine; this led me to find the Console Emulator so I
could remove the INIT.  I couldn't get the high-bit characters to get
globbed by the sh that's on the launch partition, so I had to make a
new directory and mv * ../NewSysFolder and then "cd .. ; rm -rf
SystemFolder ; mv NewSystemFolder SystemFolder" ... the (TM) character
(252 or option-2) was getting stripped of the high-bit.  Bummer.

Anyway, so now I can get X to launch, but the initial clients don't
come up.  Which sucks because then you have to restart with dirty disks
and it takes forever to try something new.  So, my only guesses are
that the shared libraries are somehow munged (but I tried running xterm
without X11 already running, and it eventually says "Couldn't open
Display" so that must mean that it was able to link successfully at
exec-time, so that must mean the shared libraries are ok, right?).

Sometimes I get a core file from xterm, sometimes not.

In better news, I was able to compile a bunch of X clients and port
over Motif 1.1, along with mwm with the shared libraries, so all has
not been frustrating.  It's actually kinda fun ... ;-)

/jordan