Packet size on IICi

Michael G. Lohmeyer mikel at dtg.nsc.com
Wed Oct 10 17:31:53 AEST 1990

In article <2074 at carroll1.cc.edu> sengberg at carroll1.cc.edu (Scott L Engberg) writes:
>Does anybody know what the packet size is that a IICi running AUX
>sends over ethernet?

     The standard packet size for IEEE 802.3 (Ethernet) is a maximum
of 1518 bytes and a minimum of 64 bytes.  The packet consists of 6
bytes for the destination address (the physical Ethernet address, not
a TCP/IP address), the source address, a byte count for the packet, a
minimum of 48 bytes of data, a 4 byte CRC, and maybe something else that
I can't exactly remember off hand right now.  This is, of course, just
the IEEE 802.3 spec.  When you go to TCP/IP, the format is contained
within the data section of the IEEE 802.3 packet, so that means that
no matter what machine you are using, or what upper level protocol you
are using (TCP/IP, IPX, etc.), the maximum packet size for Ethernet is
1518 bytes.  I assume that TCP/IP (which A/UX uses for Ethernet) takes
advantage of the full packet size.

     Does that tell you what you wanted to know?

Mike
Mike Lohmeyer				mikel at dtg.nsc.com
National Semiconductor Corporation	...!dtg.nsc.com!mikel
(408) 721-8075