A/UX 2.0.1 announcement

Brian Bechtel blob at Apple.COM
Wed Oct 17 02:28:53 AEST 1990

I found this on Applelink this morning.  I don't know any more.  I wish
I did; it sounds like good stuff.

--Brian Bechtel		blob at apple.com		"My opinion, not Apple's"
  Advanced Technology Group  (a user of A/UX)

***

A/UX 2.0.1  Product Update

Dateline:
FREMONT, California--October 15, 1990

Product Description:
A/UX 2.0.1 is the latest version of Apple's UNIX operating system for
the Apple Macintosh personal computer.  The A/UX operating system gives
users access to the familiar, intuitive desktop of the Macintosh
personal computer within the UNIX environment.  With A/UX, users can
simultaneously run multiple Macintosh productivity applications, UNIX
applications, X Window System applications, and MS-DOS applications
(using SoftPC from Insignia Software).

Significance:
A/UX 2.0.1 provides hardware support for the Macintosh IIsi, Apple's
new low-cost Macintosh II, also announced today.  Together, A/UX 2.0.1
and the Macintosh IIsi extend the reach of Macintosh functionality to
the UNIX customer at a new, low price point.  Additionally, A/UX 2.0.1
will include MacX, support for multiple monitors, an updated version of
the Korn Shell (1988), IEEE POSIX 1003.1-1990, and bug fixes.  MacX,
now bundled with A/UX 2.0.1, allows X Window System client applications
to share the A/UX Finder desktop with Macintosh and UNIX applications.

A/UX 2.0.1 is required for the Macintosh IIsi.  A/UX 2.0.1 also runs on
the Macintosh SE/30 and the entire Macintosh II line of computers.

Availability:
Availability for A/UX 2.0.1 will be in the first calendar quarter of
1991.  Customers who want to run A/UX on the Macintosh IIsi will need
A/UX 2.0.1.  All other customers can continue to purchase A/UX version
2.0, which is currently shipping.

Upgrade Policy:
A low-cost upgrade kit consisting of floppy disks and manuals will be
available for A/UX 2.0 customers.

Distribution Channels:
More than 170 authorized A/UX resellers in the United States have the
complete A/UX package available, including the Macintosh hardware, A/UX
operating system, and Macintosh applications and support.

Contact:
Jackie Promes
Apple Computer, Inc.
(408) 974-3609

-30-

Apple, the Apple logo, A/UX, Macintosh are registered trademarks; MacX
and Finder are trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc.  UNIX is a registered
trademark of AT&T.

Product Update Sheets
PR Express