UUCP on A/UX

Alexis Rosen alexis at panix.uucp
Wed Oct 31 14:00:12 AEST 1990

In article <3654 at idunno.Princeton.EDU> marcelo at sparcwood.Princeton.EDU
(Marcelo A. Gallardo) writes:
>It seems that when someone tries to call up the system at home (via
>UUCP) they get the following message... "HANDSHAKE FAILED: Remote
>Refused After Login". I'm a bit puzzled, since I can call up and start a
>session with out any problems.

I can't give a definite answer since I figured out A/UX uucp without the
benefit of A/UX manuals (there were none), and I never encountered this
message. Still, I'll give it a shot...

Since uucp doesn't see much difference between calling and being called, the
most likely thing is that uushell is screwy. Not surprising. The original looks
like this:
env "TZ=`/bin/cat /etc/TIMEZONE`" /usr/lib/uucp/uucico
This is because the uucico is very very stupid and won't work without TZ being
set properly. This caused us incredible amounts of grief when we were getting
started. Try changing it to read
env "TZ=EST5EDT" /usr/lib/uucp/uucico
instead. (Since you're in New Jersey. Otherwise, use the right zone...)

If that doesn't do the trick, there are a few other things you could try.

Do you have an appropriate entry for them in USERFILE? If not, try appending
"sysname,susname<tab><tab>/usr/spool/uucppublic" after the last line.

For this to work right, you need to have an entry for the calling system in
your etc/passwd. (UUCP can work without this, but then the USERFILE entry
would be a bit different, and this configuration is superior anyway.)
Add something like
apple:*:1001:5:apple.com UUCP link:/usr/spool/uucppublic:/usr/lib/uucp/uushell
and then assign it a password with passwd. Of course, replace "apple" and the
login description with the appropriate things.

If none of this works, you're on your own... One thing that might be
instructive is to have them call you with uucico -r0, which calls in slave
mode instead of master. If this works, you'll have some idea what to check
next. Also, what does you /usr/spool/uucp/LOGFILE say about it?

---
Alexis Rosen
Owner/Sysadmin, PANIX Public Access Unix
{cmcl2,apple}!panix!alexis