Nice things about Apple, A/UX v2 and problems with X

Huw Davies - La Trobe University Computer Centre CCHD at lure.latrobe.edu.au
Tue Oct 2 09:18:26 AEST 1990

In article <4719 at lure.latrobe.edu.au>, CCHD at lure.latrobe.edu.au (Huw Davies - La Trobe University Computer Centre) writes:

> Wham-oh! A/UX version 2. It works! Another couple of hours were spent
> configuring it for our network, the campus Bind server and the
> dreaded sendmail. But by 9pm it was up and going (and bouncing mail
> faster than it ever did before :-(. By 10pm it was all running fine.
> Now for X.

The good news - I couldn't get X11R4 going but I reinstalled Apple's
X11R3 for A/UX and it all works (or should I say worked :-(

I decided that a screen-saver would be ideal. I installed Moire but
couldn't get it to work at the login prompt - even if I got the
'about login' signiture box up. So I decided to try another screen saver.
I was down at the local Apple dealer and they had After Dark running
with the Flying Toaster background - I just had to have it!
I rushed back to the office, copied it from disk to a random variety
of system folders, removing the copies of the Moire screen saver.
Reboot to get it all going. Log in....System Error ID=1 Panic!
(Rather a non-subtle pun!).

I reasoned that the problem was removing Moire whilst it was still there.
I tried to copy it back, but to no avail. I removed After Dark and rebooted
System Error ID=1 during the reboot. It looks like I've done real bad.
I'm off early in the morning to borrow the CD drive back again.
Who said reinstallation is good for the soul.

Have a nice day :-(

Huw

PS If you want to send e-mail, I suggest sending it to our VAX-8800
(cchd at lure.latrobe.edu.au) - I haven't had a chance to install new
software on it yet so it's probably still running :-)