TextEditor hanging

Mark Sherman mss+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Oct 15 04:02:12 AEST 1990

Does anyone else have experience with TextEditor hanging? For no obvious
reason that I can see, when I try to save certain files, TextEditor puts
up the clock cursor and then hangs the system -- I can`t switch processes,
the save never comes back -- the machine is dead. This always happens when
I try two particular files (I know of nothing that makes those files special.
They are two random make files in a tree of sources that I am working on.)
What I do is simple: type the command TextEditor filename, then make some
trivial edits, then pick save. Freeze. Other files seem fine. After the
system reboots and fscks 200+ megs of disks, I find empty TextEditor.Scratch
files in my home directory (which is not where I was editing). Anyone got a
clue?
               -Mark