Macs for compfortable A/UX programming

Farshad Nayeri nayeri at cs.umass.edu
Mon Oct 1 10:42:22 AEST 1990

We are thinking of updating our Macs in my office and I would like to hear
your comments about the following questions:

I think we are definitely going to try to get upgraded from IIx to IIfx, but
the following is some other related questions:

Has anyone used a 3 button mouse to use with MacX (and/or X11R4) under A/UX? How does it
work, where do I get it, etc. I know that Apple Thought Police doesn't like
3-buttons, but it is a total pain to run X Windows with one button.
Incidently, does MacX handle this (the one button mouse problem) any better
than previous versions of X11R4?

I remember hearing that A/UX running MacOS does not support more than one
screen. Is this true? Also, can you run MacX (and/or X11R4) with more
than one screen?

How much memory should we get for running A/UX and MacX and have the mac
comfortable enough for programming?

Any other suggestions for turning our macs into a A/UX development
environment?

Our current configuration is:
  Mac IIx with 4/8 Meg memory, Apple 13" (I think) color monitor, Ethernet
  cable, A/UX 1.1 (we are getting the upgrade for 2.0 soon), X11R4 (MIT
  version).

If someone has asked any of these questions recently, I would appreciate if
you could forward the answers to me as well. Thank you. --farshad
--
Farshad Nayeri                Object Oriented Systems Group
nayeri at cs.umass.edu           Dept. of Computer and Information Science