Backup & Misc

Jim Jagielski jim at jagmac2.gsfc.nasa.gov
Wed Oct 10 20:25:59 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct10.044533.26811 at servalan.uucp> rmtodd at servalan.uucp (Richard Todd) writes:
>jim at jagmac2.gsfc.nasa.gov (Jim Jagielski) writes:
>
>>   *my comments about dump in 1.1 manuals
>
>  Well, the documentation was wrong, then.  I don't have an A/UX 1.1
>manual set, but I do have a set of A/UX 1.0 manuals.  (The 1.0 manuals
>did document dump/restore, even though those programs apparently
>weren't finished in time for the 1.0 release!)  Anyway, the 1.0 man
>page for restore says:
>     "A dumpfs(1M) followed by a mkfs and a restore is used to change the size
>of a file system."

Also, as I recall, the 1.1 manual set didn't include a page (either hardcopy
or printed) for dumb.bsd. I think that the documentation refered to dumpfs,
so a name change happened somewhere along the line.

The file system size/dump/restore comment was made in some obscure place
in the manual set, most probably in the Local Sys. Admin Guide... I wish I
had kept my 1.1 manual, but I barely have space enuff for my 2.0 manuals :)
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
                                 =:^)
           Jim Jagielski                    NASA/GSFC, Code 711.1
     jim at jagmac2.gsfc.nasa.gov               Greenbelt, MD 20771

"Kilimanjaro is a pretty tricky climb. Most of it's up, until you reach
 the very, very top, and then it tends to slope away rather sharply."