A/UX 2.0 and Imagewriters non-features

E Drew Einhorn ADV.SCI.Inc einhorn at triton.unm.edu
Wed Oct 3 12:27:57 AEST 1990

In article <BARNETT.90Oct1174040 at grymoire.crd.ge.com> barnett at crdgw1.ge.com writes:
>In article <1990Sep28.224909.7440 at servalan.uucp> rmtodd at servalan.uucp (Richard Todd) writes:
>

>Yup. You are right. I guess I am spoiled by the flexibility of
>PostScript printers. Unless I can convert a MacPaint document into
>some bitmap document that ditroff can pass thru to some sort of
>printer driver.

Has anybody attempted a port of Ghostscript to AUX?  aux.writer2.0 available
for anon ftp on aux.support.apple.com provides a chooser device that looks
like a laserwriter but sends the postscript to a shell command.  Ghostscript
could processes the postscript and compute a bit map.  Then the only missing
piece would be a device driver to ship the bitmap to the printer.  I have
a borrowed ImageWriter II that has to be returned and am thinking of buying
an HP DeskWriter (If I can get it to work w/ AUX).

>It seems that Apple added MacOS Printer support. Something is now
>different. Else why would they REMOVE functionality? Also - A/UX 2
>does not support a non-appletalk ImageWriter LQ under the Unix print
>spooler. Another example of something different. I don't feel warm and
>fuzzy about this solution.

Actually what Apple broke is the printer port.  Things are supposed to work
ok if you put your printer on the modem port and the modem on the printer port

 einhorn at triton.unm.edu