Finally got 2.0 up, got some questions ...

Jordan Hayes jordan at Morgan.COM
Wed Oct 3 23:29:39 AEST 1990

I have an internal 40Mb disk with MacOS on a MacII.  I also have an
external 300Mb drive, which has A/UX 2.0 installed on it.  The "Mac
Partition" is on the external drive, although the internal drive has a
System folder on it as well (this is a dual-user machine -- mostly,
MacOS is being run off the internal drive ... when I want to run A/UX,
I start it up manually).

Now for the questions:

I am unable to get my external hard disk to be the startup disk.  Thus,
I have the internal disk as the startup disk, along with a System
Folder.  I have to have a System Folder on the external Mac Partition
as well.  Is this right?

I was told that only one mac partition would be mounted.  When I boot
A/UX, I get /, my "Mac Partition", and the internal MacOS disk
mounted.  Was this really meant to say "only one Mac partition *per
disk* would be mounted"?

Sometimes my "Mac Partition" gets mounted twice.  Why?

What's the best way to launch A/UX in my situation?  I tried to just
double-click the A/UX Launch application, but it said I didn't have
enough memory.  So, I command-option double-click'ed the copy of
Multifinder on my "Mac Partition" to make it the startup disk, and then
it would launch.  Is this the right thing to do?

/jordan

ps: No one answered my question about how to get my hard disk back
after the partition table got scrambled.  Here's what I did:  it seemed
that the machine would bomb when it tried to mount the bad partition
upon MacOS boot.  I disconnected the external drive from the SCSI chain
and restarted with the keys down for rebuilding the desktop (to remove
any references to the external disk on the desktop -- I think this was
the reason the disk wanted to get mounted in the first place).  Then I
removed the Silver Lining Init from my System Folder.  That way, no
disks were looked for.  Then I had to reconnect the external disk to
the SCSI chain but leave the drive powered down.

I then booted the machine and waited until it hung (the SCSI bus hangs
in this situation).  Then I powered up the external drive, and the
machine booted as usual with no reference to the external drive.  Then
I ran Silver Lining to re-partition the disk.  It actually tried hard
to recover the partitions, but it was unsuccessful, so I had to
re-initialize.  While I was at it, I re-formatted to start from
scratch.

Something weird that happened then was that I asked for the A/UX
partition set with the minimum size MacOS partition, and it claimed
that it was 2Mb, but when I rebooted, it was about 1.1Mb, which was too
small to put all the launch stuff on it plus the bin, so I had to
re-partition again upping the size of the MacOS partition.  Ugh.

Finally, 2 hours later, I had A/UX.