Internal error using "ar" on A/UX 1.1 to build Motif 1.0.A

Randy Tidd rtidd at ccels3.mitre.org
Mon Oct 1 08:06:19 AEST 1990

Sorry for the blecherous cross-post but i'm not sure where the problem
lies...

I'm trying to build Motif 1.0.A on my MacII running A/UX 1.1. I finally got
the hard part done -- porting imake with all its config files, making
all the Makefiles and making the dependencies.  Now when I do a
'make', it gives me grief on the first library I try to build.  It
compiles all the object modules fine, then when it gets to where ar is
supposed to make my library it gives me this (newlines added to make
it readable):

---------------
rm -f libXt.a
ar clq libXt.a Alloc.o		ArgList.o	AtomMgr.o
Callback.o CompObj.o	Composite.o	Constraint.o	Convert.o
Converters.o	Core.o		Create.o	Destroy.o
Display.o	Error.o		Event.o		GCManager.o
Geometry.o	Initialize.o	Intrinsic.o	Language.o
Manage.o	NextEvent.o	Object.o	PassivGrab.o
Popup.o		Protocols.o	RectObj.o	Resources.o
Selection.o	Shell.o		TMParse.o	TMState.o
Vendor.o	VendorI.o	WindowObj.o

ar: libXt.a internal header generation error
*** Error code 1

Stop.
---------------

This is in $(TOPDIR)/lib/Xt.

I checked the man on ar, and didn't find any way to extend it. Has
anyone else ported Motif 1.0.A to A/UX 1.1? I made the MacII.macros
file myself, but I could have made a mistake. Is there another version
of ar around, possibly with source, that I could use?

Please send e-mail to rtidd at mwunix.mitre.org, DON'T post a follow-up
or it might go to all the groups I cross-posted to.

Thanks in advance!
Randy Tidd
rtidd at mwunix.mitre.org

"It's easier to get forgiveness than permission."