Backup & Misc

Richard Michael Todd rmtodd at uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu
Fri Oct 5 13:50:47 AEST 1990

MATLEVAN at EKU.BITNET (Jerry LeVan) writes:
>Is the following possible?
>  use dump.bsd to /dev/rmt/tc to copy a sysv file system.
>  reformat the disk to a ufs.
>  use restore to recover the files from the tape (without
>  remaking the partition back into a sysv filesystem.

  Well, modulo the difference that I did it with /dev/rmt/teac4n (using Tony
Cooper's beta TEAC tape driver and a TEAC 150M tape drive), that's exactly
what I did when upgrading my /u filesystem to UFS.  No problems.  You
do have to make sure that you've told dump.bsd correctly about the expected
length of the tape, as it apparently determines when it needs a new tape
by counting how much it has written, not by detecting the end of the tape.
(I believe dump.bsd has an option for spec'ing the tape length correctly for
the Apple tape drive.   Yes, it does, option 'c').

>Is tcb usable/needed/recommended for use with dump.bsd?

I don't think so.  The dump.bsd man page says that the 'c' option tells it
to do writes only in 8K chunks, which seems to be the main function of
tcb...
Richard Todd   rmtodd at chinet.chi.il.us  or  rmtodd at uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu
"Never re-invent the wheel unnecessarily; yours may have corners."-henry at utzoo