ksh/emacs/bash problem under A/UX 2.0

Dennis Govini dng at tdmfed.uucp
Sun Feb 10 06:47:01 AEST 1991

12/21/90

I haven't seen an answer to this, so I don't know if our newsfeed
failed to get this out or not. If anyone has seen this scenario or
knows a solution, it would be much appreciated.

In A/UX 2.0, I am having what I believe is a singular problem shown by
three programs.

1. ksh with set -o emacs
2. emacs 18.55
3. bash

In ALL three cases when invoked, tty output stops as soon as I press
the carriage return. In case 1 I can recover by typing a CTRL-Q;
however, after a <CR> is pressed I'm back where I am. For the others,
I have to reboot. This only happens on the console which is running
the standard getty. Interestingly, if you run an xterm window, they
all work!. I have played with stty and gettydef settings, but to no
avail. Anyone seen this and know what's happening? I don't have enough
disk space for source code; I suspect a problem in an ioctl() call
being issued in all three cases that is not handled correctly on the
console interface. It acts as if all tty output is blocked.

All of this happens running only on the console (which I have setup to
have a getty running on it). Interestingly, if you place a terminal on
one of the serial ports, it works ok.

Hardware: MAC II with 13" B&W monitor with color card (4-bit), 5 MB
memory and 80 MB drive.

Dennis

Mail: govoni_dennis at tandem.com