Scanner support under A/UX?

Matthias Urlichs urlichs at smurf.sub.org
Tue Feb 5 04:49:50 AEST 1991

In comp.unix.aux, article <1991Feb1.032839.5613 at muondev.uucp>,
  gosciak at muondev.uucp (Doug Gosciak) writes:
< In <48607 at apple.Apple.COM> ksand at Apple.COM (Kent Sandvik) writes:
<
< >The SCSI Manager is not supported with A/UX 2.0. Most of the scanning
< >software/drivers use the SCSI Manager. I assume you scanned from MacOS?
<
< Lack of full SCSI Manager support in A/UX 2.0 has got to be my number one
< beef with it!
< There are just so many devices that I use or would like to use that due to
< the lack of full SCSI Manager support I'm forced to take A/UX down and
< re-boot MacOS that it would seem that Apple should make SCSI support a top
< priority for the next A/UX release.
<
There's just one problem: The capabilities of the A/UX and MacOS SCSI
Managers are extremely different. Unless the MacOS SCSI Manager is reworked
(which seems about to happen sometime this year, or so it seems), there is
absolutely no way to make it work under A/UX in its full generality.

However, I do have some code which implements a reasonable subset (i.e. the
features 99% of the drivers out there use); but it has one major problem: It
works except "production" environment. That is, I can use it without problems
for issuing commands by SEdit or SCSI Probe, but "real" drivers don't work
yet. I don't yet know why not; the system simply hangs without any obvious
cause. Debugging gets difficult under these circumstances.

I can mail the sources to anyone who is interested in trying to find that
bug. (My own time is extremely limited right now -- trying to write that
MacOS-interface News reading program everyone's waiting for.)
You may need MPW C for the MacOS parts.

--
Matthias Urlichs -- urlichs at smurf.sub.org -- urlichs at smurf.ira.uka.de     /(o\
Humboldtstrasse 7 - 7500 Karlsruhe 1 - FRG -- +49+721+621127(0700-2330)   \o)/