inetd respawning too rapidly - again

Alexis Rosen alexis at panix.uucp
Sun Feb 24 14:31:14 AEST 1991

I was plagued by this stuff for a long while. Talk's ridiculous error messages
didn't help much either.

What finally fixed things for me was a change I made to my /etc/hosts file.
If you have no ethernet connection, the first line (loopback) has to contain
your hostname, which must come before any other aliases on that line. If you
do have ethernet, you need to add a line which contains your hostname and its
address.

There are lots of other ways things can get screwed up, but since this stuff
is broken by default, it's the most likely thing to need fixing.

Also, I _know_ I don't have the whole story on this one. If anyone else learns
more details, please let me know...

---
Alexis Rosen
Owner/Sysadmin, PANIX Public Access Unix, NY
{cmcl2,apple}!panix!alexis