Perl won't compile on AUX

Richard Michael Todd rmtodd at uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu
Fri Feb 1 03:54:06 AEST 1991

shani at TAURUS.BITNET writes:

>Has anyone tried to compile perl on AUX yet?

Not only tried, but succeeded :-).

> I get the following error:

>"eval.c", line 2374: compiler error: switch table overflow

Sounds like something in Perl is overflowing the (stupidly) small table
sizes in A/UX cc.  You might try using the -A (I think) switch to cc to
expand the table sizes, or you could do as I did and use gcc.  As I recall,
it compiles under gcc with only one small problem, related to the include files
and the stupid pet tricks Apple did with the _BSD_SOURCE, etc. preprocessor
defines.  I don't recall the details right offhand, but I can get the couple
of lines worth of patches I did if you need.  Mail to me if you need them...
Richard Todd   rmtodd at chinet.chi.il.us  or  rmtodd at uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu