A/UX concerns

Kent Sandvik ksand at Apple.COM
Tue Feb 26 04:55:12 AEST 1991

In article <5097 at lure.latrobe.edu.au> CCHD at lure.latrobe.edu.au (Huw Davies - La Trobe University Computer Centre) writes:

>Having nothing better to do (I'm waiting for it to get cooler before riding
>home - it's 40 degrees outside....Oh that's about 104 of those other
>degrees), I thought I'd try some simple experiments with NFS mounted
>file systems from my Mac. I have NFS mounted from both our MIPS M120/5
>systems running RISC/os 4.5.1 and our DECstation-2100 running Ultrix
>4.0. My Mac is running A/UX v2.0 on a IIcx.
>
>I copied the source of the xlock program to both the Mips and DECstation
>and compiled it with gcc in both cases. There are no compilation warnings
>and the program runs correctly from the MIPS NFS filesystem. From the
>DECstation I get a core dump, even if I copy the executable back to
>the hard disk on the Mac and run it from there.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong - I'm no DECStation expert - but
wasn't there some fuzz with byte ordering on the DECStation that
separates the file system design from the MIPS implementation. I'll
remember reading something about LSB byte ordering switching so the
DECStation would be compatible with the rest of the VAX systems.

So there could be something special in the NFS implementation on the
DEC side. Then again XDR should make the byte ordering canonical. All
in all, this is just speculation.

Kent

>PS Hi to Kent!
PSS: Hi Huw!

--
Kent Sandvik, Apple Computer Inc, Developer Technical Support
NET:ksand at apple.com, AppleLink: KSAND  DISCLAIMER: Private mumbo-jumbo