Making /usr on EOD?

Kent Sandvik ksand at Apple.COM
Wed Feb 27 13:06:40 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb26.143904.4378 at linus.mitre.org> laf at mitre.org (Lee Fyock) writes:
>Does anyone know how to make an erasable optical disk (EOD)
>into a usable /usr filesystem?  I'm clueless, and I've tried
>about four different ways, but nothing seems to work reliably.
>
>I'm running a Mac IIci, A/UX 2.0, 20M RAM, cache card, 80M
>internal Mac disk, 80M external A/UX disk, and a 295M (per side)
>Unison (Sony mechanism) EOD.
>
>I've tried using Silverlining v. 5.28/14 to format the drive and
>partition it, and then running newfs to write a filesystem to it.
>This works to a certain extent, but it won't mount reliably.
>I tried using dp, but I'm not sure I'm using the correct parameters
>(default=y?).
>
>I also created a mac partition (with Silverlining) which appears
>on the mac desktop before I launch A/UX, but will not appear on
>the A/UX desktop.  Console messages appear saying something about
>the retry limit being exceeded on /dev/dsk/c6d0s30, which is the
>mac partition...
>
>Ideally, I'd like a 100M partition to be /usr, another 100M
>to be /users, and the rest (>90M) to be a mac partition.  Any help
>(or script files from dp!) is appreciated!

A quick-and-dirty method is to clone the whole 80Mb (160Mb) root
disk over to the optical disk with dd, e.g:

dd if=/dev/rdsk/c0d0s31 of=/dev/rdsk/c5d0s31 bs=800k

and then mount the whole thing. If the disk dev driver don't scream,
then the hardware works with A/UX. The next step would be to start
modifying the partition map on the other disk with dp, maybe add more
partitions, delete the unneeded ones and so on. I have a vague memory
that I kicked alive an optical disk unit for a trade show for A/UX
2 years ago, so well behaved ones should work OK.

One known sore point with HFS volumes is that you only are allowed
to have one per hard disk, no patch-trapping of _HFSDispatch, but
that's another story.

Don't know if this help,

Kent

--
Kent Sandvik, Apple Computer Inc, Developer Technical Support
NET:ksand at apple.com, AppleLink: KSAND  DISCLAIMER: Private mumbo-jumbo