Desktop info lost after a 'soft' crash

Matthias Urlichs urlichs at smurf.sub.org
Thu Feb 7 02:32:03 AEST 1991

In comp.unix.aux, article <1417 at ucl-cs.uucp>,
  J.Purchase at cs.ucl.ac.uk (Jan Purchase) writes:
<
< I've noticed two things about how A/UX (the CommandShell at least) handles
< this desktop information that concerns me:
<
[ General Desktop problems ]

< What have I misunderstood?
<
The Desktop information is stored in a bunch of special filess in your System
folder. These belong to you, and they are marked invalid when the MacOS
crashes.
To fix that, you create two scripts named "save" and "restore":

~/bin/save:
#!/bin/csh
cd ~/System?Folder
cp .fs_* Desk* Backup

~/bin/restore:
#!/bin/csh
cd ~/System?Folder
cp Backup/.fs_* Backup/Desk* .

Also create a folder named "Backup" in your System Folder.

Now, each time you quit the MacOS subsystem normally, you say "save".
Each time you crash it, you say "restore".

You'll have to start in the Console emulator and call "mac32" or "mac24"
manually, of course. I don't know if the exit status of startmac (or
startmac24) tells whether there was a crash -- then you may be able to
incorporate this into the standard startup scripts (they're in /mac/bin).

--
Matthias Urlichs -- urlichs at smurf.sub.org -- urlichs at smurf.ira.uka.de     /(o\
Humboldtstrasse 7 - 7500 Karlsruhe 1 - FRG -- +49+721+621127(0700-2330)   \o)/