New UUCP for A/UX?

Paul Sander paul at athertn.Atherton.COM
Thu Feb 7 08:49:06 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb5.083527.2506 at panix.uucp> alexis at panix.uucp (Alexis Rosen) writes:
>austin at spies.sf-bay.org (Glenn Austin) writes:
>>I have attempted to use the UUCP which came with A/UX 2.0, and it works fine
>>when logged in as UUCP, but fails (miserably!) when running in the background
>>because UUCICO doesn't correctly handle the options for files transferred.
>>It creates all files as mode 600, and then when UUX attempts to read them
>>(ie. to send mail), it can't access them, and you get returned error messages
>>and nothing gets sent to the recipient!  This is a BUG that basically makes
>>A/UX USELESS for UUCP, since you can't set up cron to call, and a feed can't
>>call you!

[ Alexis' workarounds omitted ]

I ran into the TZ problem as well, and discovered the solution independently.
I had a long talk with Chuck and Apple's A/UX Technical Answerline this
morning, so now they know about the problem.

Another problem I ran into was this:  After following the advice of Farrow
and Thomas (given in their "Unix System V Administration" book), I created
a directory called /usr/spool/uucp/X, and found that UUCP would transfer
incoming mail, but UUXQT would not spawn rmail.  Removing the X directory
fixed the problem.
--
Paul Sander        (408) 734-9822  | "Passwords are like underwear," she said,
paul at Atherton.COM                  | "Both should be changed often."