AUX 2.0.1 cost

Boyd Ostroff ostroff at Oswego.EDU
Sat Feb 16 06:28:48 AEST 1991

In article <98 at s5000.RSVL.UNISYS.COM> piper at s5000.RSVL.UNISYS.COM (Piper Keairnes) writes:
>What would be the best price an educational purchaser could find for
>AUX 2.0.1 software only? Hard disk is not needed. Perhaps a breakdown
>of different distribution media costs and what manuals would cost.

Well I was interested too and checked it out about a week ago.  Boy was
I shocked.  The HEPP pricing, plus a 10% markup at our college store was
$730 for A/UX with the "Accessory Kit" (what's that?) and $587 for the
manuals.  It is somewhat cheaper to buy it on a CD-ROM.

Yeah, I know that UNIX has gotten expensive, but $1300 sounds outrageous to
me - I sure can't spend that much as an individual.  Right now I own an
AT&T 3B1 (2MB RAM/67 MB disk) which runs UNIX System V and had been thinking
about selling it and buying A/UX for my Mac IIcx. I only paid $2300 new for
the 3B1 a few years ago including Unix, and doubt that I could even get the
$1300  to buy A/UX if I sold it today.

One possibility did catch my eye, though.  You can get a "right to copy"
licence for about $100 to install A/UX on additional workstations.  Perhaps
several people could get together and do a group buy to take advantage of
this pricing....

 ==    Boyd Ostroff, Tech Director   ==     Sys Admin, "The CallBoard"      ==
||||  Dept of Theatre, SUNY Oswego  ||||   Serving the Performing Arts     ||||
||||        (315) 341-2987          ||||  315-947-6414 1200/2400 baud 8N1  ||||
 ==     ostroff at oswego.oswego.edu    ==   cboard!sysop at oswego.oswego.edu    ==