Tops compatibility with A/UX

Alan Mimms abm at alan.aux.apple.com
Wed Feb 27 15:52:13 AEST 1991

In article <18243 at slice.ooc.uva.nl>, morgan at ooc.uva.nl (Chris Morgan/RIKS) writes:
|> Another point...my A/UX is running on a MacIIfx with 4MB of RAM. I have ordered
|> another 4x4MB simms which I hope to see in about 2-3 weeks. Until then, is it
|> possible to take advantage of the virtual memory capabilities of the IIfx, which
|> I fully expect exist ???  Currntly the machine is pretty slow with a hell of a
|> lot of disk activity. When I try to run MacX or X11...well its simply not
|> practical even for a IIfx. Surely it must be possible to trick A/UX into
|> thinking that theres more memory available than is physically installed.

You set the environment variable TBMEMORY to something like "10M" (for
10 megabytes) in your .login or .profile so that when you login to
A/UX Multifinder world, the variable is defined before the world is
fully created -- it uses this variable's value to determine the size,
with the default being the size of physical RAM.  See "man Login" for
more information.

--

Alan Mimms (alan at apple.com, ...!apple!alan)   | My opinions are generally
A/UX X group                                  | pretty worthless, but