A/UX concerns (was "A/UX cc -- a ghost from the past")

Kent Sandvik ksand at Apple.COM
Sat Feb 16 06:59:17 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb14.204018.4351 at helios.physics.utoronto.ca> sysmark at cita.utoronto.ca writes:

>My worry is that this is exactly the position that Apple is in now.
>I don't doubt that the A/UX group has some really good people in it,
>both techies and managers.  But I can't shake the nagging suspicion
>that they're both unappreciated by the rest of the company, and most
>likely badly underfunded as well.  After all, the fact that A/UX 2.0
>(a *recent* product) arrived lacking a modern C compiler is certainly
>symptomatic of something.

Gosh, I hope someone read the last cryptic sentence in my earlier
entry...

>I hope that my fears are unfounded, and that someone from Apple can
>reassure me.  But if my suspicion is correct, it's bad news for those
>people who want to use A/UX, since it means that a lack of internal
>support for the folks who write, improve, maintain, and document A/UX
>will ensure that Apple's UNIX product will always lag behind the others.

Speaking from experience from another company where I started working
with UNIX, in which the word 'UNIX' was considered a dirty word (won't
mention the company but it has nowadays unfortunately to do with the
power of two), it takes an awful long time before the concept of
UNIX and open systems are accepted in the whole-whole company, from
bottom up. We speak about 6-10 years usually.

Compared with the other company the UNIX people inside Apple have
relatively free hands and a good budget, but these are my own
opinions based on experiences about politics inside American
computer companies.

Regards,
Kent Sandvik

--
Kent Sandvik, Apple Computer Inc, Developer Technical Support
NET:ksand at apple.com, AppleLink: KSAND  DISCLAIMER: Private mumbo-jumbo