A/UX cc -- a ghost from the past

Kent Sandvik ksand at Apple.COM
Thu Feb 14 05:04:04 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb13.122652.14565 at helios.physics.utoronto.ca> sysmark at physics.utoronto.ca (Mark Bartelt) writes:
>We recently got A/UX for one of our MacIIs, and were appalled to discover
>that the C compiler isn't X3J11 compliant.  The guy who uses that system
>sent me the following last night:
>
>| Subject: non-ANSI c
>|
>| Horror of horrors!  After converting all my beautifully prototyped
>| mac interface programs to port over to AUX, I find that the AUX
>| compiler is some prehistoric monster that doesn't respect the ANSI
>| 'standard'.  Is there some kind of filter available to convert programs
>| from ANSI to old format?

Well, most of the basic Unix workstation system C compilers are 'prehistoric
mosters' originating from the terrifying, Tyrannosaurus pcc from
the continent of AT&T. With the advent of System V.4 AT&T is *finally*
shipping an ANSI C compliant C compiler as part of the UNIX system
release.

As to A/UX, use A/UX GNU gcc for the time being with the ANSI C flag, otherwise
wait and see (GNU cc available with anonymous ftp from wuarchive.wustl.edu).

Regards,
Kent Sandvik

--
Kent Sandvik, Apple Computer Inc, Developer Technical Support
NET:ksand at apple.com, AppleLink: KSAND  DISCLAIMER: Private mumbo-jumbo