Ease (sendmail.cf high level language) and A/UX

Bruce Barnett barnett at grymoire.crd.ge.com
Wed Feb 27 01:56:25 AEST 1991

I have recently posted Ease version 3.0 to alt.sources.
If you include Patch #1, it works fine on A/UX.
Ease is a high level language for sendmail. You can convert
sendmail into ease on A/UX using:

	cfc -i -C UNI </usr/lib/sendmail.cf >sendmail.ease

To compile ease back into sendmail, use
	et <sendmail.ease >sendmail.cf

Ease does not replace sendmail. It augments sendmail by eliminating
the need to learn an obscure syntax.

In the testing, I noticed some bugs:

	Make has the well known error of using the value of the
environment variable SHELL to run scripts. I had to add the line
	SHELL=/bin/sh
to the Makefile.

	The A/UX install is not compatible with any other version of
install I have ever used. I really don't understand why Apple would
break a common Unix utility. The simple

	install file directory

command does not work with A/UX. Can someone explain to me the reason?

--
Bruce G. Barnett	barnett at crd.ge.com	uunet!crdgw1!barnett