MacX or X Window System?

Alan Mimms abm at alan.aux.apple.com
Tue Feb 12 05:06:38 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb4.230846.1421 at aucs.AcadiaU.ca>, ifocs9d at aucs.AcadiaU.ca (Rick Giles) writes:
|> I'm upgrading A/UX and X Window System 11R3 on a Mac II and am faced with
|> getting MacX or the X Window System 11R4.
|> What are the advantages/disadvantages of one of these servers running under
|> A/UX? Thanks.
|>

|> Rick Giles
|>
|> Bitnet:   FRGILES at Acadia.ca

Oops.  I realized after hitting "send" that I had failed to answer your
question very completely.  Sorry for the additional bandwidth...

MacX is an X11R4 server which lives in the "Macintosh world" on A/UX or
Macintosh OS (one binary fits all).  It provides a facility for starting
clients (and other processes) on remote (or local if running A/UX) machines
and a built-in window manager which is optional.  It provides a high
degree of integration between your Macintosh applications and the X11
clients -- for example, cut and paste of text and color graphics in
both directions.

The X Window System for A/UX contains MacX and another server (which is
mutually exclusive with MacX) which takes over your entire screen(s).
While this server's performance is somewhat (say, 20%) better than MacX's
performance, it is mutually exclusive with the Macintosh world -- you
can't run ANY Macintosh applications while running the "Native X" server.
The X Window System for A/UX also contains a set of clients and the
full development environment from MIT (libraries and interface files),
built to take advantage of A/UX's shared library capability.

If you have any questions, please ask.
--

Alan Mimms (alan at apple.com, ...!apple!alan)   | My opinions are generally
A/UX X group                                  | pretty worthless, but