tar directory checksum error

William Roberts; liam at cs.qmw.ac.uk
Sat Feb 2 06:17:10 AEST 1991

>binary ftp to DECstation 5000 via internet
>binary ncsa telenet ftp to local mac (mac binary off)
>mac to floppy disk
>floppy disk to AUX partition on another mac
>uncompress files
>attempted tar fails

A classic this - the act of copying the file from floppy disk to A/UX
partition has allen foul of the "I'd guess this is a text file" kindness of
the Finder.

Use ResEdit or somesuch to change the type of the mac file from TEXT to
anything else, then try again. Changing CR to LF in compressed files hurts...

William Roberts                 ARPA: liam at cs.qmw.ac.uk
Queen Mary & Westfield College  UUCP: liam at qmw-cs.UUCP
Mile End Road                   AppleLink: UK0087
LONDON, E1 4NS, UK              Tel:  071-975 5250 (Fax: 081-980 6533)