A/UX 60HZ clock (was NTP for A/UX)

USENET Administrator usenet at Apple.COM
Sat Feb 16 04:52:34 AEST 1991

From: rick at crowbar.apple.com (Rick Auricchio)

    Though Mike is right the other time issues he points out, the floppy
    hardware (on all but the IIfx) is not exactly as he described.

    The floppy hardware can't be interrupted by anything, hence it runs
    at high spl during the entire sector data transfer time, dropping spl
    during seek, intersector gap, etc.  As a result, not only do we see a
    time shift but other interrupts get poor service (e.g. network).

    As for the 60HZ being spl1, that's probably because the Mac OS doesn't
    use 60HZ for timing, but rather they always read the hardware clock.
    The 60HZ interrupt isn't important enough to Mac OS to run higher.

    The IIfx, because it has an IOP for the floppy (650x CPU + RAM),
    offloads the timing-critical code from the main CPU.
--
Rick Auricchio	 rick at apple.COM 	 Mooney N894AR    	 (408) 974-4227
Apple Computer Inc, A/UX Engineering,10300 Bubb Rd, MS 50-UX Cupertino CA 95014