Mounting Mac O/S disks for back-up

sramtrc at windy.dsir.govt.nz sramtrc at windy.dsir.govt.nz
Tue Jan 29 23:54:22 AEST 1991

In article <15122 at milton.u.washington.edu>, grahams at milton.u.washington.edu (Stephen Graham) writes:
> to a network of Suns. What we'd like to do is mount the Mac disk
> on the network so we can dump its contents to our Exabyte tape drives

As far as I know the only way to mount Mac disks when A/UX is running is
to run MacOS, and then the only programs that can access the disk are
MacOS programs. Since there are no MacOS programs (that I know of) that
do backups using the underlying UNIX facilities you are restricted to
ordinary MacOS programs. Hence this question belongs in one of the
comp.sys.mac newsgroups ("belongs" just means that you will probably
get a better answer there). I know that there are utilities for doing
backups over TCP/IP networks. There is at least one free utility for
this too.

For a pure A/UX solution you can do image backups. If x is the scsi ID
of your Mac drive then /dev/rdsk/cxd0s30 contains the image of your
HFS partition. You can access it under A/UX as a raw image eg you can
do dd if=/dev/rdsk/cxd0s30 | rsh remotemachine ... where ... is the
remote backup command you want to use. If you have more than one partition
on the dribe you can use pname(1) to access the others.

Maybe one day Apple will release UNIX drivers for the HFS filesystem.
It won't be an easy job writing the stuff so don't bank on it.

Tony Cooper
sramtrc at albert.dsir.govt.nz