A/UX 2.0 and old EtherPortII card??

Henry Melton qfhca81 at memqa.uucp
Thu Jan 10 21:19:43 AEST 1991

In article <47902 at apple.Apple.COM>, ksand at Apple.COM (Kent Sandvik) writes:
> In article <2813 at redstar.cs.qmw.ac.uk> liam at cs.qmw.ac.uk (William Roberts;) writes:
>
>>>Device drivers written under A/UX 1.1 won't work with A/UX 2.0, because a
>>couple
>>>of kernel structures are different. I.e. the company/persons behind the
>>>driver should simply recompile the driver(s) under A/UX 2.0 with the new
>>>A/UX 2.0 device driver kit files.
>>
>>The A/UX 1.1 version of the driver works with A/UX 2.0 but doesn't support
>>AppleTalk - it's fine for NFS, TCP/IP and so on. I'd be happy to send a copy
>>of the 1.1 driver binary to apple.com for people to fetch as needed, but only
>>if the present owners of the rights to that code give their consent: you could
>>try asking them for the 1.1 drivers anyway.
>

> OK, I'm quoting the A/UX 2.0 device driver manual:
>
> If you wrote a device driver for an earlier relase of the A/UX operating
> system, you should recompile it under A/UX release 2.0. Recompilation is
> necessary because *kernel data structures*, such as the user structure
> and the proc structure, have changed size and location within the kernel.

I have been running with the 1.1 drivers and an old EtherPort card for a couple
of months now.  While everything works, I can also suffer kernal crashes/system
lockups whenever I attempt heavy usage that uses lots of memory.  When I do get
a panic message, it always points to a tcp/ip task as the bad guy.  I am doing
all of my appletalk stuff over the localtalk wire.

The bottom line is that the 1.1 drivers will get your running, but will make
your system flakey.  If you aren't a heavy memory user, it might work fine.
Personally, I am trying to get a different ethernet card.

Henry Melton  qfhca81 at memrqa.sps.mot.com
{slow}  qfhca81 at memqa   ..!cs.utexas.edu!execu!sequoia!memqa!qfhca81
{home}  henry at hutto     ..!emx.utexas.edu!hutto!henry