Announcing MacX 1.1 and X Window System 2.1

Alan Mimms abm at alan.aux.apple.com
Wed Jan 16 15:20:41 AEST 1991

In article <25559 at fs2.NISC.SRI.COM>, cwilson at NISC.SRI.COM (Chan Wilson [Animal]) writes:
|> abm at alan.aux.apple.com (Alan Mimms) writes:
|>
|> [...]
|> >MacX runs on the Macintosh Plus, Macintosh SE, Macintosh Classic,
|> >Macintosh LC, and all of the computers in the Macintosh II series.  MacX
|> [....]
|> >The MacTCP connection tool supports pretty much any Macintosh Ethernet
|> >adapter (Apple's EtherTalk board, for example) or any AppleTalk transport
|> >(e.g., twisted-pair LocalTalk) to communicate with a DDP<->IP gateway
|> >(e.g., Kinetics KIP).
|>
|> HmmMMmmm..  So, answer me this, if you can.  Picture this hypothetical
|> (at the moment) situation: A Mac plus, connected via AppleTalk to a
|> Mac fx running a/ux 2.0.  The Mac fx is running the cap/uab package,
|> allowing it to be an Appletalk<->IP gateway.  Can the Mac Plus be
|> running MacX, accessing clients on the other side of the fx?
|>
|> In other words, an AppleTalked Mac Plus X-Windows Display through an fx?

I don't know much about the cap/uab stuff, but if it will work with MacTCP
as a DDP/IP gateway, then sure, it will work.  I won't expect anyone to
rave about the performance due to the several process context switch
operations per X11 packet, but it probably would be workable.  You could
also use a (cheap) DDP/IP gateway like a GatorBox or a Kinetics (or
whatever they're called now) FastPath.

--

Alan Mimms (alan at apple.com, ...!apple!alan)   | My opinions are generally
A/UX X group                                  | pretty worthless, but