MacTCP without DNS support? (was Re: No telnet under A/UX?)

Thomas Lenggenhager lengge at chx400.switch.ch
Mon Jan 7 08:33:29 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan4.220228.4505 at athena.mit.edu> hbh at athena.mit.edu (Heidi Hammel) writes:
>I just installed A/UX 2.0 on my Mac IIci.  I have been running NCSA
>Telnet 2.3 on my Mac via an ethertalk card and thinwire connections.
>But it won't run under A/UX.  Says it's not 32-bit clean.
>I tried relogging in under 24-bit (just like it says in the TFM for
>running non-32-bit-clean programs). No luck.
>
>It _acts_ like its working, but just can't locate the machine.  In the
>control planel under MacTCP, when I look at the IP addresses and defaults
>WITH A/UX,  they are all O's.  WITHOUT A/UX, they are set to the correct
>IP address and defaults.  I cannot change them under A/UX - says they
>are protected.
>
>Any clues?  Something silly?  I'm an experienced unix _user_ (read: _not_
>a system hacker) but very new to the Mac world.  Thanks for any help.
>--
>------   Heidi B. Hammel      (hbh at athena.mit.edu)     MIT 54-316
>--       Department of Earth, Atmospheric, and Planetary Sciences

The first problem you describe is just the warning documented somewhere in
the manual. You have to change a bit with the ResEdit to get it to
disappear.

The second problem I experienced with TCP/Connect II from InterCon as well.
It seems to me that the MacTCP under A/UX 2.0 doesn't support the DNS name to
address lookup. If you try to connect via the IP number it works perfectly.
Connecting by domain name always fails!

Question to Apple:
Why isn't this documented in the manual? Or is it just a bug and not a
feature?

     Thomas Lenggenhager, SWITCH, ETH-Zentrum, CH-8092 Zurich, Switzerland
          INET: lenggenhager at switch.ch       | Tel: +41-1-261 8178
          UUCP: ..!mcsun!chx400!lenggenhager | Fax: +41-1-261 8133
         X.400: S=lenggenhager;O=switch;P=switch;A=arcom;C=CH