Adding a cache card

James T. Talley talley at hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu
Fri Jan 25 10:33:05 AEST 1991

I have some questions about adding a cache card to a Mac IIci
running A/UX 2.0.  The Mac IIci in question has 8 meg of RAM, 80
meg internal and 40 meg external hard drives.  It will primarily
be a network database/mail server.  In other words, no one will
be using Macish applications on the console on a regular basis.

The questions are:

1) Is it worth adding a cache card?  Will it enhance the speed of
   operation significantly for A/UX applications?

2) How hard is it to install?  Do I just plug it in?  Will I have
   to run newconfig?  Do I have to start hacking the kernel with a
   hex binary editor?  (Just kidding. :-)

3) Does anyone have any recommendations on a particular brand?
   Shall I just buy Apple's?

Any info will be appreciated

James T. Talley
talley+ at osu.edu